So now about performance:
The main difference and advantage of this new bottom shape "Invert-V" is that the water flows along the invert-V towards the center of the board and concentrated in the middle of the board and gives more lift - more hydrofoil effect and the board sits higher above the water and feels more free.
Due to this reason I can change some other shape details to improve the whole board without loosing one or the other performance aspects.
So following I changed:
- length & width: same as FV2
- outline: Same as FV2 but a tiny bit straighter in the tail to give more support going upwind. Means you can keep the upwind angle also at lower speed which helps pushing angle right of the start or after tacking. Normally when I do this on the old board it was slower but with the new invert V concept I can keep the speed.
- Scoop Rockerline is from our new Slalom 128, a bit smoother with same speed and angle. This has to be to fit the invert V concept as the old rocker line didn't work with this and it was not stable across the axle.
- Besides the invert-V the bottom shape also changed around the mast track area and it has more V then previous so less touching on the side and it also has some wider bevels (5cm) which increase the rail hight even more to avoid any touching also downwind. Like this the board is running above the water very free and fast.
- With the hydrofoil effect the board is more free so we can put the finbox at 9cm which keeps the nose down longer. The old board start doing wheelie earlier the new board has more control. At the same time we put the strap back so you stand more over the fin so the rotation point is further forward and the board turns a bit more into the wind, means you can make a bit more upwind angle and especially you can keep the angle without following the waves or wind shifts to much like on the old board.
- The cutouts have different geometry because of the invert-V shape and new position of the finbox.
- The cutout also has a step to reduce the size of the screw insert of the adjustable plates so it is a bit lighter.
- The rail under the back foot is a bit more boxy to have more push going upwind. We also have inserts to put the adjustable wings for those who want/need.
- Because of the increasing V and the 5cm wide bevel the rail is thinner and lighter in front of the mast track.
- The deck has also a invert-V to be accurate with the shape and achieve more stiffness and a bit more lightweight as well.
- The deck shape around the chicken strap is angled and gives a more comfortable stands.
- No more air pipes because we had to much trouble with weight and warranty claims.
Well, this is a lot of information and I hope you understand my explanations and otherwise just contact me again…
29/1/2017 12:14:46 pm
Please describe the issues with weight and warranty claims? "No more air pipes because we had to much trouble with weight and warranty claims." I thought the air pipes might have been revolutionairy.
Leave a Reply.