It was a short 4 day busy trip to China for me and my son. We were there to meet our manufacturer for our 9.5m RB design.
The first day we meet the owner of the sail making factory. Straight away I was relieved to see the factory. He built the facility himself, it is huge! Purpose built for sail making. Inside I couldn’t count the amount of laser cutters and the sewing machines. Until now I have been using a CAD/CAM wheel cutter. The accuracy has to be mm perfect.
The factory has downsized, they have turned away the big customers/jobs in favour of more boutique type businesses like me. They prefer to have a small high quality workforce. Finding expert seamstresses is hard they tell me.
They give a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty and fully stand behind their products. They are totally confident in this.
They fully check the product before it is packaged. It has to made as agreed. Then there is wear and tear, how long should a sail last? For me I want a sail that can win the World Championship built strong enough to handle a storm. Once I’m onto a good thing I want it to last and last but I don’t want the sail to be over designed and heavy. All these things need to be considered.
The expert Sailmakers in the factory have suggested I use mast sleeve material in the luff pocket instead of X-Ply for increased wear and tear. I did notice rolling and unrolling the sail the X-Ply was less agreeable to this action. So I have agreed to this change but only for the leading edge and not the whole luff pocket.
I am considering changing the cams to roller cams. Roller cams rotate well. Gun sails use them in their world cup racing sails. The factory have their own roller cams I would just need to adjust the luff pocket. Actually a big job.
Battens are critical. I have used a range of suppliers to make the battens and I tried many combinations. We will recreate the battens using their in house batten fabrication and this will need to be tested. After market batten detail may suit some sailors.
I favour having no mast protector as I think it is more racing. We are going to trial a removable mast protector so you board has protection for training days.
The range of colours is vast in this loft and all dimension Polyant and screen printing is available also. I few people have given me feedback with regards to colours. Some want to not draw attention to them selves on the start line which I understand and some want to make windsurfing fully visible with all the fun of colours. What do you think? The factory has agreed to special one of orders for those sailors that insist on their own colour scheme.
I will go for max colour on this one. :-)
So I have decided given all these changes I will pay to make another prototype by their hand. This will be version 5. This will add 2 to 3 weeks hopefully less before production starts. I apologize for the delay.
Any updates I will post to this blog. Please contact me with any feedback.
The Raceboard sail I designed is on it way to Hong Kong! I am putting it into production for a short run only. Limited numbers only, I am not making extras or holding stock. If you are interested please message me ASAP to go the list.
On Tuesday 14th March 2017 or Wednesday I will be at the production facility and then send a message back to you with your warranty protection details, sail details and of course the price. The more we order the better it will be for everybody.
In your message please tell me if you have any special requirements. For example you might request the following.
1. I want the factory to put my sail numbers and my name on the sail in black and white or in my personal colours.
2. Instead of orange flouro logo etc can I have red highlights as I sail the Exocet RS380 elite board to match the red stern. Or maybe another colour, green.
3. l will pick up from Sydney or Hong Kong myself or I will send my courier to pick up for me.
4.Send me the sail/s to this address. We have good rates with FEDEX worldwide.
5. I need the sail before the Queensland State Titles.
6. I need the sail now before the European seasons starts to start training.
7. I want a sail mast combo deal. SLAKE or Gun Select 550 SDM.
8. Any other request, please ask
kindest regards Justin Lord
please share this post with your RB friends. You will be able to share shipping cost if a bunch of mates nominate one shipping address.
Differences from V3 to V4
1. batten added (influenced from the demon sail to give more wind range),
2. boom cutout lowered (i am over 6ft and a little heavy for RB, this will suits majority of sailors),
3. seam shaped reduced and move forward (only slightly as V3 was very good in this regard)
4. shaping into pocket, added luff found, luff pocket narrower, less mast rake (end plate effect is easier to achieve),
5. materials revised (higher quality - longer lasting).
6. tack design revised (lowered for easier to achieve end plate effect)
7. Boom shorter and mast longer.